Monday, February 28, 2011

The Race is on!

My ALL TIME favorite show is the Amazing Race! I got hooked on this cross continental adventure reality show in college and spent many hours watching with my roommate and friend Ali. To this day I still get excited when the previews run and Dave always makes sure the DVR is set. My dream is to be a competitor on the show...the thought of racing around the world and testing your skills in a foreign country is incredibly exciting to me. Maybe one day! For now I will continue my "casual" thrill seeking and adventure challenges, but maybe one day I will get my chance to race around in a Kangaroo costume (this Sunday's episode), win fabulous trips and see some of the most beautiful places in the world.

This season the race consists of past competitors so I already have some favorites...

Margie and Luke
Margie and Luke

You can't help but love a mother-son combination! They are a strong team and rely on their own strengths rather than tricking other teams to mess up. Did I mention that Luke is deaf, which at times creates a challenge but clearly proves they have a remarkable relationship. I will be cheering them on!

Gary and Mallory
Gary and Mallory

I am a sucker for this father-daughter team! Growing up my dad and I partook in our fair share of adventures including para sailing, scuba diving, skiing (water and snow), you name it! This teams bond always shines through even during the low points of the race and I can't help but think of my dad. Mallory is beyond bubbly and finds a positive in almost every situation. At times I am sure some find it annoying, but I love her glass half full attitude!

These are definitely the two teams I am pulling for this season - Sunday nights on CBS at 8pm.

Since my time on the screen isn't in my near future I will continue to seek out my own adventures and encourage you to try some of the following...

Great Urban Race - Amazing Race style but all done in one day and in Charlotte (among other cities). Mary Ann and I, team Double Dare, raced around the city solving clues, doing silly stunts, and laughing the entire way! Highlights or low lights...I lost my phone (and found it), Mary Ann took the best "digger" after an intense dizzy bat, we rocked the walking boards and ran like crazy.


Muddy Buddy - This race consists of mountain biking and running with challenges along the way. Not as intense as the military races, but still a challenge! My friend Mary and I packed up our bags and headed to Atlanta to race through the woods, up hills, through creeks and finally ending up in a giant mud puddle to celebrate our finish. This trade off system between biking and running was test of endurance and so much fun! If you are comfortable on a bike and don't mind some (A LOT) of mud, this race is for you!





Whitewater Center - Want to taste the great outdoors in Charlotte? I have always enjoyed whitewater rafting in Maine and I am thrilled they brought the opportunity to Charlotte. The man made style rapids are great to test your skills, nothing compares to the real thing, but this is definitely a good substitute! But the fun doesn't stop there...another favorite activity at the WWC is rock climbing! I started rock climbing as a kid with my brothers and have always jumped at the chance to test my upper body strength. This year I want to get certified! And finally the Subaru Concert series...so the only skill this requires is drinking, tearing off shrimp shells and relaxing! If you need a break from Alive at Five, try the WWC. The music might not be Justin Beiber and top 40, but it is definitely relaxing to kick back and enjoy a beer with live music and the rapids rolling in the background!




In my opinion, the key to happiness is taking risks and challenging yourself. It doesn't mean you have to race across the country, it can be taking a business risk, starting a family, running a road race...in the end it is about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and realizing how strong your are! So to friends who have big steps in the near future, jump in, embrace the good and bad, and allow your friends to be your biggest fans!

1 comment:

  1. Love how you pulled this post together at the end into a deeper meaning, your too sweet :) And amazing race lover, who knew? love learning new things about you!

    ReplyDelete